Can I Sue if I Slip and Fall on a City Sidewalk?

man slips and falls on public sidewalkSlip and falls can happen in any season. In the wintertime, the most common cause is snowy or icy walkways. During the summer, falls are often the result of unsafe conditions, from wet surfaces or spills to debris and uneven walking surfaces.

Thousands of people each year slip and fall on public sidewalks. If your injuries are serious enough, you may be eligible for compensation from the city or municipality.

Greg Monforton & Partners has a proven track record, successfully recovering millions in compensation for Ontario residents. This includes a recovery of $400,000 on behalf of a slip and fall victim. An initial consultation comes at no cost or obligation to you. We also charge no upfront fees for our services.

Call (866) 320-4770 to talk to a lawyer.

Municipal Liability for a Sidewalk Slip and Fall

Ontario cities, such as Windsor and Kitchener, and Ontario municipalities, such as Chatham-Kent and Leamington, are responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of public sidewalks. They must use all reasonable care and take every precaution to prevent injuries to travellers along the streets.

A city or municipality may be liable for injuries and losses suffered by the victim of a slip and fall on a poorly maintained public sidewalk. However, unlike a private property owner, liability is limited to circumstances in which the municipality was grossly negligent.

The street or sidewalk must have been unreasonably safe. In order to prove the city or municipality was negligent, you must prove that they knew or should have reasonably known of the unsafe condition. In these cases, it is best to consult with a lawyer who has experience in legal claims against municipalities.

Time Limits to Claim Compensation

To sue for damages after a slip and fall, the law requires that you file a legal claim within two years from:

  • The date that your injury occurred; or
  • The date you reasonably should have known you were injured

You must also notify the city or municipality of your intent to sue within a certain time period. If you are seriously injured after falling on public property, you must give the city a written notice of the fall – including the time, date and location – within 10 days from the date of the incident.

Windsor-based personal injury lawyer at our firm is prepared to help you file the necessary paperwork and guide you through the legal process. If you miss any of these deadlines, you could lose the right to sue for compensation.

Compensation for Slip and Fall Injuries

If there is evidence of gross negligence on the part of the city or municipality responsible for maintaining the sidewalk, you may be eligible to recover compensation. This is in accordance with Ontario’s Municipal Act.

The amount of compensation will depend on the seriousness of your slip and fall injuries, how these injuries affect your life and how well you recover from these injuries, among other factors.

Compensation may include payment for:

  • Medical treatment
  • Lost wages
  • Loss of future income
  • Pain and suffering

For instance, if you slip and fall on a patch of icy pavement and seriously injure your head, back or another part of your body, you could be compensated for expenses such as surgery, prescriptions and travelling to and from doctor’s appointments as well as general pain and suffering experienced.

Injury victims with legal representation often obtain more compensation than those who do not. A lawyer may also be able to obtain a better settlement outside of court than if the case goes to trial.

Call Our Firm for Trusted Legal Assistance

If you have been injured in a slip and fall on a public sidewalk, contact our firm to see how we may be able to help. We are prepared to advise you on how to protect yourself and your legal right to compensation.

The initial consultation is completely free and confidential. Should you have a valid case, there are zero fees up front if we take on your case and zero fees while we work on your case. We are available anytime, night or day, to take your call.

Learn more about your legal options:
(866) 320-4770