When Am I Legally Obligated to Report a Crash?

driver reporting a car accident in ontarioCar accidents are very stressful for all involved, especially if there are extensive injuries and damages. If you have been in a collision, you may be wondering when or if  you should report it. Is there more than one party that needs to be notified?

Greg Monforton & Partners discusses the legal requirements for reporting a crash in Ontario in order to protect your claim for compensation. Learn more about your rights during a complimentary consultation. You are not obligated to hire our firm after this initial meeting.

FREE case review. Call 866-320-4770 today.

What Are the Legal Requirements for Reporting a Crash in Ontario?

The requirements for reporting a crash are dependent on a number of factors, including:

  • The severity of the accident
  • The extent of injuries suffered
  • How much property damage occurred
  • And more.

In some instances, you may be required to notify the police about the collision. However, in Ontario, it is only legally required in certain situations.

When You Must File a Crash Report

In Ontario, drivers must report a car crash in any of the following situations:

  • Someone sustained an injury or died in the accident
  • The accident resulted in $2,000 or more in damage to all vehicles
  • The accident involved a government-owned vehicle
  • The accident resulted in damage to private or municipal property

The law also requires that you notify police after an accident involving a pedestrian or if the other driver is uninsured. You must also immediately contact police if you suspect that anyone involved in the crash is guilty of a criminal act, such as driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Why Even a Minor Crash Should Be Reported

Reporting a crash, even when it is minor, helps to establish proof the accident happened. A police report contains critical information about the crash that can be used to determine fault and negotiate a fair settlement. These details could also prove extremely helpful as you seek compensation for your injuries and damages.

Failing to report a crash could make you look guilty because you delayed taking immediate action. In the worst case scenario, the insurance company may try to say you are the liable party, even if you were not guilty. This is especially true if the other driver quickly filed a police report or notified the insurance company soon after the accident.

Reporting Car Crashes at a Collision Reporting Centre

It is not always necessary to involve the police after a collision. For instance, if no one is injured and the total damages appear to be less than $2,000, you have 24 hours to report the accident to a Collision Reporting Centre (CRC).

These centres, conveniently located across the province, help to simplify the collision reporting process. Drivers can self-report a car crash without guidance from a police officer. Damage to vehicles must be photographed, however, that can also be done at a CRC near you.

For instance, if the accident occurred within the city limits and both vehicles are from the Essex County area, you can report the crash at a CRC in Windsor (2696 Jefferson Blvd).

It is important to note that the drivers involved do not have to go to the collision reporting centre together. It is important to point out that even if when reporting car crashes to a CRC, drivers still need to exchange information, such as:

  • Contact details (name, address, phone number)
  • Driver’s licence number
  • Insurance information (company name and policy number)
  • Car details (make, model and licence plate number)

Do I Have to Notify the Insurance Company?

Yes, you should notify your insurance company of a crash, regardless of fault, and include the amount of damages sustained. There are several coverages to your insurance policy that may help you recover compensation for your damages. To obtain this compensation, however, you must first notify your insurer of any injuries or property damage.

Say, for instance, that your car becomes totaled. If you purchased gap insurance, you could use it to cover the difference between what you owe on your car loan and what your insurance company agrees to pay for the damages. You may also have extended liability insurance coverage to help cover your medical bills, vehicle damage and personal items. This coverage also provides protection if you are injured by an uninsured or hit-and-run driver.

Get Answers to Your Legal Questions Today

If you have been involved in a crash, you may be eligible to pursue compensation for your damages. At Greg Monforton & Partners, we know how to build a strong case for maximum compensation. Our lawyers have successfully recovered $300 million for our clients.

Our Windsor car accident lawyers are experienced and prepared to answer any legal questions you may have about your situation. We charge nothing up front if we represent you and only collect our fees if we first obtain compensation for you.

Proven Results. (866) 320-4770.