How Can I Be Compensated if Injured in a Hit-and-Run?

compensation for a hit-and-runIt is illegal in Canada to leave the scene of an accident if it resulted in property damage, injury or death. Unfortunately, sometimes drivers can cause a crash and then flee the scene, often because they are uninsured or are trying to escape from any financial liability. This can leave victims unsure if they may be able to file a claim for compensation.

Below, learn more about what to do after being involved in a hit-and-run accident and how a member of our legal team could help you pursue full compensation. Your first meeting with us is free.

Why Drivers Flee After a Crash

When a driver decides to leave the scene of an accident he or she caused, especially when serious injuries happen, it can leave the victim feeling hopeless and discouraged. Fortunately, failing to stop and render help after a crash is a federal offense. The reasons negligent drivers decide to flee may include:

  • Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol and afraid of DWI or DUI charges
  • Lack of liability insurance or enough coverage as required by law
  • Riding in a vehicle that has been stolen or not having permission to drive it
  • Having a previous record of traffic tickets or violations
  • Having an outstanding arrest warrant
  • Driving without a valid driver’s license or with a suspended licensed

Filing a Police Report After a Hit-and-Run

Even if the other driver flees the scene of the accident, it is important to contact law enforcement so a police report can be filed. A police report could help you obtain the compensation you need. Other benefits of filing a police report include:

  • The police may be able to find the driver if you or someone else who witnessed the accident recorded the license plate number, vehicle make or model or some other relevant details
  • The report will help establish why the crash happened and that the other driver fled the scene
  • If the other driver is found, you will need the police report to file a claim with his or her insurer
  • If you must file a claim with your own insurer, the insurance adjuster needs a copy of the report

Ways to Obtain Compensation for Your Injury

Victims of hit-and run accidents often worry about obtaining compensation to help cover costly medical bills and loss of wages from being unable to work while in recovery. The good news is that there are several legal options to consider. Some ways you may be able to obtain compensation could include:

  • The other driver’s insurance company – If the police locate the negligent driver, you may be able to file a claim with his or her insurance company if the policy in question is valid.
  • Your own insurance company – If the negligent driver is not located, or is uninsured or underinsured, you could file a claim through your own insurance company. Depending on your policy and whether additional coverage was purchased, it may be possible to recoup losses to help cover medical bills, vehicle repairs, car rental fees and/or other property damage.

See How Our Firm May Be Able to Help

We encourage that you seek legal representation as soon as possible if you have been the victim of a hit-and-run accident. Should you have a valid claim, a Windsor car accident lawyer at Greg Monforton & Partners is ready to handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance company for you.

There is no risk in calling us for a free consultation and there is no obligation to move forward. If we represent you, there are also no upfront fees unless you recover compensation.

Call (866) 320-4770 to learn how we may be able to assist you.