How Do I Get Compensation for a Car Accident in Windsor?

wrecked car frontCar accident victims in Windsor may be entitled to compensation for their injuries. To access this compensation, you first must file an insurance claim.

The claims process can be long and confusing, so working with an experienced car accident lawyer can be to your advantage. The Windsor car accident lawyers at Greg Monforton & Partners are available to help you pursue the compensation you deserve for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Ontario’s No-Fault Auto Insurance System

Car insurance companies in Ontario are governed by a no-fault system. This means no matter who is at fault for an accident, your claim must be filed and processed through your own insurance company.

This applies to passengers as well. If someone is riding in your car and is injured in an accident, he or she must pursue a claim with his or her insurance company to recover compensation.

Statutory Accident Benefits

By law, every insurance policy in Ontario must include statutory accident benefits coverage. This coverage provides compensation no matter who is at fault for the crash, including:

  • Income replacement – This compensates accident victims for wages they lost when they were unable to work because of their injuries.
  • Caregiver – This provides compensation for certain expenses if you cannot continue as the main caregiver for a member of your home.
  • Non-earner – This provides compensation if you lose the ability to carry on a normal life and do not qualify for income replacement or caregiver benefits.
  • Medical expenses – This covers the medical expenses you incur for treating your injuries.
  • Rehabilitation – This covers the cost of any necessary rehabilitation from your injuries.
  • Attendant care – If you need an aide or attendant to help you because of your injury, you may be entitled to compensation for some of the cost of this service.
  • Other expenses – This covers other expenses that resulted from your injuries, such as the cost of family coming to visit during treatment or recovery, housekeeping and home maintenance, repairing or replacing items lost or damaged in the accident, and some educational expenses.
  • Death and funeral benefits – This pays compensation to family members of the deceased and covers some funeral expenses.

Injury Threshold and Deductible

Car accident injuries can also cause considerable pain and suffering, both physically and emotionally. However, Ontario car insurance policies only provide compensation for these damages if your injury causes:

  • Permanent and serious disfigurement
  • Permanent and serious impairment of an important physical, mental or psychological function

However, unless your pain and suffering is valued at more than $126,610.07, you will have a deductible of $37,983.33. This means the first $37,983.33 of your compensation award will be kept by the insurance company of the at-fault driver. This deductible will be waived if your pain and suffering damages are valued at more than $126,610.07.

Contact a Lawyer Now

If you were injured in a car accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The Windsor personal injury lawyers of Greg Monforton & Partners are available to help you pursue the compensation you deserve.

Request a free, no obligation consultation today and learn what legal options are available after your accident. There are no upfront fees when you work with our firm, and payment is only owed if we successfully recover compensation for your claim.

Call (866) 320-4770 or fill out our Free Case Evaluation form today.