Most Outrageous Black Friday Accidents, Injuries & Deaths
Posted By On behalf of Greg Monforton and Partners on November 8, 2013 in General Interest
Most recognize Black Friday as the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, while prices have always enticed many Canadians to cross the border to get these outstanding deals. As a result, many Canadian companies have begun offering similar deals during this time in order to keep customers inside the border and utilize their services.
As this may be great for Canadian businesses, Black Friday is also the most dangerous time to go shopping. Across America, Black Friday has resulted in people becoming impatient and rude, while occasionally causing injuries and even death to other shoppers. Our barristers have gathered some of the most horrifying incidents that have occurred on Black Friday over the years in order to demonstrate how insane people can become over simple materialistic items.
The following includes the most outrageous Black Friday accidents, injuries, and deaths:
- In 2008, a mob of shoppers crashed down the doors of a Wal-Mart and trampled a worker and two shoppers to death in Valley Stream, New York.
- In 2011, a mob of shoppers stormed the gate to Urban Outfitters in Oaks Mall in California. These shoppers destroyed the gate to the store and crashed the metal detectors while doing so.
- In Palm Desert, California, two people were killed during a shooting at none other than Toys R’ Us during their Black Friday shopping event.
- In 2011, a man was arrested in an Arizona Wal-Mart after police saw him stashing video games under his shirt.
- In Oakland, California, many people were injured while fighting for memory cards at Wal-Mart
- In 2010, a mob of shoppers injured several shoppers going through the doors of Target in North Buffalo, New York.
- In 2005, several people were injured at Wal-Mart in Grand Rapids, Michigan when a stampede of customers crammed through its doors.
- In 2010, dozens were injured fighting over $1.28 towels at Wal-Mart in Atlanta, Texas.
- In 2011, 20 people were injured when Wal-Mart used pepper spray on shoppers battling for the Xbox 360 unit in Porter Ranch, California.
In Strongsville, Ohio, several young girls were injured when hundreds of shoppers stormed the gates of Victoria’s Secret.
It is simply breath taking that shoppers would choose to inflict harm on one another over merchandise. Therefore, our lawyers would like to advise anyone going shopping this Black Friday to do so in a civil manner, and to avoid any large mobs in order to prevent injuries from occurring.